Time flies when you’re having fun—it’s June already, and nothing I planned to have completed is done at this point. However, I have made progress on some really important things.
I bought a new vacuum cleaner.
I’ve got a new vegan cookbook.
I dog-sat my neighbor’s boxer for four days.
But we’re here to talk about writing. In the short story department, I have had one story accepted by an anthology. I sent two others to magazines, and they’re currently hanging in that peculiar limbo. Waiting to hear if I’ve sold them or not is always a little frustrating but I try to just send them off and forget them, which is why it’s good to keep a list of what you sent and to where.
This is where the spreadsheet for submissions comes in handy. You can do this by hand or use Excel or Google Sheets. (see my blogpost of 1 May 2017 – Submissions: discovering who wants them and how to manage your backlist. My list has:
- Date of submission
- Title of Story
- Name of publication/contest it was submitted to
- Website for publication/contest
- How it was submitted (i.e., through Submittable or through the publisher’s website)
- Closing date
- The date you can expect to hear back by at the latest: 90 – 175 days is common.
- Where to respond and who to notify in the case of simultaneous submissions – some publications/contests allow simultaneous submissions, but you must notify them immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Accepted Yes/No
- Date accepted/rejected
- Remarks if given
Once your spreadsheet is set up, it’s easy to keep track of what you sent to where and where it is in the process. Using the Submittable App makes it even easier—they keep track of your submissions for you.
I’ve slowed down on the short story mill—my novels have once again claimed my attention.
The first draft of Heaven’s Altar is ¾ of the way done but is at a creative plateau point. This is a novel set in the Tower of Bones world of Neveyah but takes place fifteen generations before Edwin’s time. I have taken my main character through his vision quest, and he is now headed toward the showdown with destiny.
Those final showdown scenes are always so difficult to get out of my head and onto paper. I do a lot of thinking, of trying to pry that elusive nugget of gold loose. But it’s still refusing to show itself, so for the moment, that manuscript is at the “inching” stage—mostly on the back burner.
Bleakbourne on Heath, my alternate Arthurian mishmash is nearing completion. This is a work-in-progress that began life as a serial, and while I did end the serialized version with a wedding, the main thread was left incomplete. That story has languished for two years while other projects took up my attention. I intend to finish Bleakbourne during NaNoWriMo this year, so I have been designing the final showdown for Merlin, Mordred, and Leryn. I know where Bramblestein, Lancelyn, and Galahad must be and what they each must do. I have also figured out how Morgause the Cat fits into the story and what her role will be in the big event.
Baron’s Hollow, my contemporary novel is in the outlining and backstory stage still. This book will also emerge more fully during NaNoWriMo if all goes well with Bleakbourne. As that should only take about 10,000 words to finish, I will have plenty of time to get Baron’s Hollow off to a good start. I expect Baron’s Hollow to top out at about 60,000 words.
I’m still trying to figure out the characters, what secrets each is keeping from the others, how those secrets mount up, and how each member of the cast makes it to the final showdown. In order to write their story, I need to know these people as individuals, understand how they would or wouldn’t react to each situation, and what the catalyst for the final event is. I know what has to happen during that scene. I know where it will happen. I just need to know why these particular people do what they do.
Finally, Julian Lackland, the final installment in the Billy’s Revenge series has been completed. I am just waiting for comments from the final group of beta readers. If all goes well, he will go to print in September. If more revisions are required than I hope, it could be November or December–I refuse to rush him to print.
So that is the update—I’ve been averaging 700 to 1000 new words a day, which isn’t exactly burning up the universe. However, combined with the revisions and editing work for other authors, it does move me forward.
How has your new work been progressing? Feel free to let me know in the comments, but include no links please, as the spam blocker will send those directly to the spam folder.
2 responses to “Update on Works in Progress #amwriting”
Everything in my submittable list is received, in progress or declined. I’m just waiting for that first acceptance. I know that won’t be enough. Last year, all I wanted was for a story in print. Now I have, I want a book or my own short-stories. I’ve nearly finished a novella. The goalposts keep moving.
LikeLiked by 1 person
That is the most interesting part of this process – we start out with the “limbo” bar low, lol! It reminds me of when I was the goalie on a women’s roller hockey team. With each new win we moved toward the playoff in our little league. For me, the playoffs are still out there, still waiting to be achieved. I’ve new goals now too.